- Washington University School of Medicine, Senior Scientist in the laboratory of Dr. Samuel Achilefu (2002-2015)
- Washington University School of Medicine, Senior Research Technician in the laboratory of Dr. Mario Castro. (1999-2002)
- Practical Anatomy Workshop, Saint Louis University, Education Director for AIMS, Adventures in Medicine and Science (1997-1999)
- Teacher of biology, chemistry and mathematics, Bais Yaakov High School (1995-1997)
Dr. Sharon R. Bloch
Associate Professor of Science
217-732-3168, ext. 2330
- PHD Saint Louis University
- Advanced Coursework SIU School of Medicine
- BS Millikin University
- “Holy Spirit and Truth.” The Lookout (published by Christian Standard Media), forthcoming Oct. 2019.
- “Faith and Science.” The Lookout (published by Christian Standard Media), Oct. 22 2018 (https://lookoutmag.com/2018/
- Som A, Bloch S, Ippolito JE, Achilefu S. “Acidic extracellular pH of tumors induces octamer-binding transcription factor 4 expression in murine fibroblasts in vitro and in vivo.” Sci Rep.2016 June 15
- Zhou H, Gunsten SP, Zhegalova NG, Bloch S, Achilefu S, Christopher Holley J, Schweppe D, Akers W, Brody SL, Eades WC, Berezin MY. “Visualization of pulmonary clearance mechanisms via noninvasive optical imaging validated by near-infrared flow cytometry.” Cytometry A. 2015 May;87(5):419-27
- Charanya T, York T, Bloch S, Sudlow G, Liang K, Garcia M, Akers WJ, Rubin D, Gruev V, Achilefu S. “Trimodal color-fluorescence-polarization endoscopy aided by a tumor selective molecular probe accurately detects flat lesions in colitis-associated cancer.” J Biomed Opt. 2014 Dec; 19(12):126002.
- Wang Z, Zhang K, Shen Y, Smith J, Bloch S, Achilefu S, Wooley KL, Tahor JS. “Imaging mRNA expression levels in living cells with PNA/DNA binary FRET probes delivered by cationic shell-crosslinked nanoparticles”. Org Biomol Chem. 2013 May 21; 11(19): 2159-67.
- Ye Y, Akers W, Xu B, Bloch S, Odonkor C, Achilefu S. “Near-infrared fluorescent divalent RGD ligand for integrin a(v)b(3)-targeted optical imaging.” Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2012 Sep 1; 22(17):5405-9.
- Nothdurft R, Sarder P, Bloch S, Culver J, Achilefu S. “Fluorescence lifetime imaging microscopy using near-infrared contrast agents.” J Microsc. 2012 Aug; 247(2): 202-7.
- Zhang X, Bloch S, Akers W, Achilefu S. “Near-infrared molecular probes for in vivo imaging.”Curr Protoc Cytom. 2012 Apr; Chapter 12: Unit 12.27.
- Lee H, Akers W, Bhushan K, Bloch S, Sudlow G, Tang R, Achilefu S. “Near-infrared pH activatable fluorescent probes for imaging primary and metastatic breast tumors.” Bioconjug Chem. 2011 Apr 20;22(4): 777-84.
- Ye Y, Xu B, Nikiforovich GV, Bloch S, Achilefu S. “Exploring new near-infrared fluorescent disulfide-based cyclic RGD peptide analogs for potential integrin-targeted optical imaging.”Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2011 Apr 1; 21(7): 2116-20.
- Edwards WB, Akers WJ, Ye YP, et al. “Multimodal imaging of integrin receptor-positive tumors by bioluminescence, fluorescence, gamma scintigraphy, and single-photon emission computed tomography using a cyclic-RGD peptide labeled with a near-infrared fluorescent dye and a radionuclide.” Mol Imaging. 2009. 8(2): 101-110.
- Achilefu S, Berezin M, Akers W, et al. “ANYL 272-Fluorescence lifetime imaging of tumors using near infrared fluorescent molecular probes.” Abstracts of Papers of the American Chemical Society. 2008 236
- Ye Y, Bloch S, Xu B, Achilefu S. “Novel near-infrared fluorescent integrin-targeted DFO analogue.” Bioconjub. Chem. 2008 Jan; 19 (1): 225-34.
- Bloch S, Xu B, Ye Y, Liang K, Nikiforovich GV, Achilefu S. “The linear grd peptide labeled with a fluorescent probe interacts with beta-3 integrin. 2006 J Peptide Sci 12: 230 (Suppl. S).
- Patwardahan SV, Bloch S, Achilefu S, Culver JP. “Quantitative small animal fluorescence tomography using an ultrafast gated image intensifier.” Conf Proc IEEE Eng. Med. Biol. Soc.2006 1: 2675-8.
- Bloch S, Xu B, Ye Y, Liang K, Nikiforovich GV, Achilefu S. “Targeting Beta-3 integrin using a linear hexapeptide labeled with near-infrared fluorescent molecular probe.” Mol Pharm. 2006 Sep-Oct; 3(5): 539-49.
- Ye Y, Bloch S, Xu B, Achilefu S. “Design, synthesis, and evaluation of near infrared fluorescent multimeric RGD peptides for targeting tumors.” J Med Chem. 2006 Apr 6;49(7): 2268-75.
- Bloch S, Lesage F, McIntosh L, Gandjbakhche A, Liang K, Achilefu S. “Whole-body fluorescence lifetime imaging of a tumor-targeted near-infrared molecular probe in mice.” J Biomed Opt.2005 Sep-Oct; 10(5):054003.
- Zhang Z, Liang K, Bloch S, Berezin M, Achilefu S. “Monomolecular multimodal fluorescence-radioisotope imaging agents.” Bioconj Chem. 2005 Sep-Oct; 16(5): 1232-9.
- Achilefu S, Bloch S, Markiewicz MA, Zhong T, Ye y, Dorshow RB, Chance B, Liang K. “Synergistic effects of light-emitting probes and peptides for targeting and monitoring integrin expression.” Proc Natl Acad Sce USA. 2005 May 31; 102(22): 7976-81.
- Patwardhan SV, Bloch SR, Achilefu S, Culver JP. “Time-dependent whole-body fluorescence tomography of probe bio-distributions in mice.” Optics Express 2005 April 4; 13(7): 2564-77.
- Achilefu S, Ye YP, Bloch S, Zhang ZR, Berezin M, Liang KX. “Development of contrast effectors for optical and multimodal imaging of tumors.” Abstracts of Papers of the American Chemical Society. 2004 228: U824.
- Ye Y, Bloch S, Kao J, Achilefu S. “Multivalent carbocyanine molecular probes: synthesis and applications.” Bioconjug. Chem. 2005 Jan-Feb; 16(1): 51-61.
- Ye Y, Bloch S, Achilefu S. “Ployvalent carbocyanine molecular beacons for molecular recgonitions.” J Am Chem Soc. 2004 June 30; 126(25): 7740-1.
- Castro M, Bloch SR, Jenkerson MV, DeMartino S, Hamilos DL, Cochran RB, Zhang XE, Wang H, Bradley JP, Schechtman KB, Holtzman MJ. “Asthma exacerbations after glucocorticoid withdrawal reflects T cell recruitment to the airway.” Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2004 April 1; 169(7): 842-9.
- Winchester SK, Bloch SR, Fiacco GJ, Partridge NC. “Regulation of expression of collagenase-3 in normal, differentiating rat osteoblasts.” J Cell Physiol. 1999 Dec; 181(3): 479-88.
- Partridge NC, Walling HW, Bloch SR, Omura TH, Chan PT, Pearman AT, Chou WY. “The regulation and regulatory role of collagenase in bone.” Crit Rev Eukaryot Gene Expr. 1996; 6(1): 15-27.
- Partridge NC, Bloch SR, Pearman AT. “Signal transduction pathways mediating parathyroid hormone regulation of osteoblastic gene expression.” J Cell Biochem. 1994 Jul; 55(3): 321-7.
- SC 112 Nutrition and Wellness
- SC 150 Human Biology (with lab)
- SC 151 Human Biology (without lab)
- SC 155 Biology and Society
- SC 165 Biology and Society Lab
- SC 157 Chemistry and Society
- SC 158 Chemistry and Society Lab
- SC 250 Microbiology
- SC 255 Anatomy & Physiology I
- SC 256 Anatomy & Physiology II
Research interests include optical imaging of tumors, regulation of cell specific and differential gene expression, cell signaling and cancer biology